Updated April 27, 2016
This policy describes how YP LLC (“YP” “We” “Us”) collects, uses, shares, and secures information on our owned and operated websites, mobile applications and other properties, as well as the services we use to communicate with consumers and to facilitate communications between consumers and the businesses who advertise with us. Although you should read through the entire policy for complete information, the following provides a summary of some of the most important aspects of our privacy practices:
- We use your personally-identifiable information to provide you with products, services, and information, including more relevant search results and advertising and to make sharing with others quicker and easier, while enabling you to maintain control of that sharing.
- We may share your personally-identifiable information with third parties in some situations, such as if you decide to communicate with a company that advertises through our application.
- We are committed to working with you to reach the right balance of what information we collect, use, and share, by providing you with ways to control information that we collect, through our opt-out mechanisms.
- We take reasonable measures to secure your sensitive personally-identifiable information, but we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your sensitive personally-identifiable information will remain secure in all circumstances.
- Identification data (e.g. name, username, password, address, telephone number, mobile number, email address);
- Profile information (e.g. age, gender, country of residence, language preference, MyBook business listings and any information that you choose to make available as part of your YP user profile or your MyBook);
- Products or services ordered and delivered;
- List of your contacts and related data (we will give you a choice as to when and whether you want YP to use contact lists from other services to populate your YP provided contacts list, such as MyBook);
- The content of any communications you choose to have with us or with any of our other users or advertisers via the services we make available (e.g. reviews, e-mails, instant messages, recorded telephone calls (including those which we records or store on behalf of our advertisers), user-generated content, etc.); and
- Data from surveys in which you participate.
We may also collect information from you automatically. For instance, we, like many websites and applications, automatically collect information including the computer or wireless device you use, unique device identifier, location data, the type of browser and operating system that you use, the internet provider or wireless carrier you use, the webpages or applications you view, the time and duration of your visits, the search queries that you enter, and how you interact with advertising. Among other things, we use the following technologies to automatically collect information:
- YP and our marketing partners, affiliates, analytics or service providers use technologies such as cookies, beacons, scripts and tags. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the website, tracking users’ movements around the site, and gathering demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing these types of tracking technologies.
- “Unique Identifiers” are unique strings of characters that are used to identify you, your computer, or your mobile device. Such identifiers may be preset on your computer or mobile device. We may use unique identifiers to recognize you when you visit our sites or use our mobile applications.
- We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our Mobile Software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
- “Local Shared Objects,” “LSO’s,” or “Flash Cookies” are data files similar to cookies, except that they can store more complex data. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our website use Flash cookies to remember settings, preferences, and usage, particularly for video, interactive gaming, and other similar services. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove them. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for LSO’s or Flash Cookies click here.
- We use Local Storage, such as HTML5, to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our website or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity also use HTML5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5.
- “Telephone Caller ID” refers to information automatically transmitted about you when you call someone. If you call a telephone number that we have provided to you, your caller ID may be recorded. Most telephone providers will, upon request, block your caller ID. Such services may not always be effective if you choose to call a pay-per-call (900) or toll-free number.
- “Web beacons” or “clear pixels” are small graphic images on a Web page or in an e-mail that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of e-mail marketing campaigns.
- A “web server log” is a record of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The Web server log also may record information about your browser, such as your IP address and the cookies set on your browser by the server.
- A “widget” is a program or application that can be embedded in a web page or mobile application. Widgets can provide real-time information, such as stock quotes or weather reports, or take information, such as restaurant reservations or online food orders. Widgets are often provided and hosted by a third party, and may allow that third party to collect data about users viewing that page or interacting with that widget, possibly subject to privacy policies other than YP’s. We also use Social Media Features such as the Facebook Like button. In addition to information you fill in, these features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly.
- You can log in to our site using “sign-in services” such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personally-identifiable information with us, such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form, or to post information to your account.
- “Geo-location technologies” refers to technologies that permit us to determine your location. We may ask you to manually provide precise location information on our website, or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information in order to provide you with relevant services in your area.
- We may also automatically use information from your web server or computer to determine general location information, such as the city in which you live.
In addition to information that we collect from you, we may collect information about you from third parties for purposes such as ad targeting, optimization and reporting.
- Advertising Provided by YP on YP Properties. If you would like to manage some of the information that YP uses about you to tailor the advertising that you see on the websites and mobile applications that we own or operate to your interests, or if you would like to opt-out of YP using any personally-identifiable information about you to tailor its advertising, you can do so by clicking here. Note that if you are using an Apple device which uses iOS6 or later, you will need to follow the instructions provided by Apple for opting out of using the Apple Advertising Identifier.
- Advertising Provided by Other Companies Using Information Collected on our websites or Applications. If you do not want third parties who collect information about your use of our website or applications to tailor any of the advertising that you see, you can opt-out at the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance opt-out page.
- Advertising Provided by YP on Other Properties. If you do not want YP to use personally-identifiable information about you to tailor the advertising that you see on websites and mobile applications that we do not own (i.e., third parties’ websites), you can opt-out here.
- Non-Personally-Identifiable Mobile Profiles. If you do not want YP to maintain non-personally identifiable user profiles based on your mobile device’s location data (in addition to other opt-outs that may be available through your mobile device or apps), you can opt out through banner ads you receive from us on your phone by clicking on the TRUSTe Ad Choices icon.